Loyal Cougars

BYU video displays worldwide reach, apparently wins Hyundai Lens of Loyalty contest

BYU students’ video submission to Hyundai contest displays world-wide reach of BYU.

BYU is a special place. At several entrances to its campus, the motto “The World Is Our Campus” is read. Why? Here’s why: BYU’s student filmmakers entered this submission to Hyundai’s Lens of Loyalty contest. We’ll explain more about that later. But just watch the video first.

(Shout out to our man Greg Welch, whose son takes part as the boy hoisting the BYU flag in the Iowa wind.)

Hyundai asked 25 schools to submit a one-page description of a film that “showcases football-related traditions that inspire the students, alumni and fans.” Then finalists, including BYU, were given $10,000 to create that video. The above is BYU’s submission. And it’s fantastic — which is why it won, according to the description on BYU’s video. Apparently the announcement was supposed to come on Dec. 31, but….

Capture

Officially, nothing has been announced. But BYU’s says that, while the others say “congrats to [school] for being a finalist.”

The winner was chosen by a panel of judges. If BYU has indeed won, it will get an additional $10,000 from Hyundai. And why wouldn’t it be the winner, anyway? The other finalists were Alabama (overwrought), Boston College (could have been any school), Georgia Tech (cool, but ultimately small in scope), Oregon (that’s all you could do with $10k?), and Pitt (Meh. Not too bad, I suppose.)

What’s with the staged fans brought together to cheer, BC, Oregon, Pitt? I don’t understand why they weren’t able to use real footage of fans at actual games. Well, Pitt. But the others?

I’ll back off the smack though, because really, no place is as special as BYU. BYU’s submission does highlight two things: 1) The world really is BYU’s campus, and 2) BYU media productions, from the professionals at BYUtv to the students at BYU Ad Lab and those in the Laycock Center for Creativity and Collaboration, really are sensational.

The film uses a perfect combination of rawness and polish, but doesn’t get overwrought like many of the other submissions.

Kudos to Jeff Sheets, Dustin Locke, and anyone/everyone else involved in making this. And to Brandon Wright for an awesome prosthetic leg, forever displaying the spirit of BYU as a cancer survivor. Today, I’m proud to be a BYU fan.

16 Comments

1. Ben

December 5, 2013 at 9:44 am

It really was no contest. And thanks for the BYU ADLab shoutout! My sister manages it and I’m always impressed by the projects the students turn out!

2. R Tay

December 5, 2013 at 12:08 pm

I loved it!… inspiring, touching, motivating. A tremendous piece. Congratulations to those who created it and to the unbelievable fans who provided content. Go Cougars!

3. Richard Mann

December 5, 2013 at 5:11 pm

Hmm. When I try to play it, the youtube window says “This video is private.”

4. BYU FAN

December 5, 2013 at 10:10 pm

Very dry, I don’t understand how an assemblance of disjointed testimonials portrays any type of artistic vision.

• R Tay

December 6, 2013 at 10:42 am

From those who are drawn and captivated by the superficial and are shackled with limited understanding, yours is not a surprising comment.

5. BYU FAN

December 5, 2013 at 10:14 pm

How does an institution that preaches the ethic of humility write an article like this?

• Almaden Coug

December 6, 2013 at 12:34 am

• Oregon Student

December 6, 2013 at 5:30 pm

“Because there’s nothing wrong with having some school pride and inspiring those around you.”

Because insulting other school’s submissions (“that’s all you could do with $10k?”, “Meh. Not too bad, I suppose”, and “What’s with the staged fans?”) is the only way to show pride and inspire those around you, am I right?

Stay classy, BYU. First time I’ve heard about your school’s fans, and it’s not a very flattering first impression.

• R Tay

December 6, 2013 at 10:46 am

Again, try to look deeper, see clearer, feel more profoundly and you will, in time, begin to see and understand the greatness of BYU.

6. Dan Gleesac

December 5, 2013 at 10:36 pm

First and foremost, congrats to BYU for (apparently) winning the competition. As a BYU fan who extols the universities values and mission statement, however, I am ashamed to see a piece of journalism that tactlessly attempts to fault-find with the other contestants rather than focusing on any content whatsoever of BYU’s film. Clearly the author has no background in film and no eye for fine arts; “the perfect combination of rawness and polish”? How meaningless is that statement? Why don’t we just throw together any two arbitrary antonyms in an attempt to sound refined? Furthermore, Boston College currently has a potential Heisman candidate as their running back and is bowl eligible. How can any sportswriter define such a school as “could have been any school”? Maybe turn on ESPN?

It takes class and self-confidence to properly consider yourself a winner. Neither of these adjectives are displayed in the article and are certainly not attributes important to the author. Then again, what can we expect from a Weber State graduate with a degree in Organizational Communications? Talk about “could have been any school”? Pathetic.

I’ll back off the smack talk, though, because really, the horrible piece of writing is the furthest thing from a representation of BYU and I’m sorry such a poor article had to be written to announce their winning of the competition.

• Brett Hein

December 6, 2013 at 4:32 pm

I appreciate your personal value judgments, stranger.

Studies show that online video content usually proves valuable/popular when it is raw. The BYU students used “raw” video elements — fans simply talking head-on to a camera — and combined it with the polish of high-quality camera equipment and sharp editing. It made for a good combo and one that really set BYU’s submission apart.

The Boston College reference was about the content of the video — it could have been about any school, it felt like there was nothing unique to BC in it. Clearly, we were talking about videos here, not football teams. Sorry if that was difficult for you.

These videos were submitted to be judged in comparison to one another. That’s the contest. Seems in defending the values you feel BYU represents, though, you’ve become no different than anyone else with your potshots at me personally and my alma mater. I certainly never used words like “horrible” and “pathetic” when looking at the other schools’ videos. Might want to be more tactful the next time you feel the need to reprove somebody.

7. billy bob

December 6, 2013 at 3:03 pm

Did the contest even happen? I can’t find BYU’s video anymore. I reached to Hundyai USA PR manager to ask where the other contest videos are and he had never heard of the contest, and I found him through their Youtube channel.

• Brett Hein

December 6, 2013 at 4:16 pm

Apparently Hyundai made the videos private — possibly because it mistakenly revealed the winner.

• Brett Hein

February 11, 2014 at 9:22 am

Got a new link to it now up in the post! Should stay up from here on out.

8. PittPanther

December 6, 2013 at 5:02 pm

Congrats to BYU on a job well done! As a member of Pitt’s film team, I thought the BYU video was very well done. We all found the children to be adorable, and what BYU’s team did with the award money was both creative and thoughtful.

What the students from all the schools were able to do at the height of mid-terms and in under a month is great, and they all have lots to be proud of. These videos will be good portfolio material for everyone invovled. I am very thankful for Hyundai giving us an opportunity to showcase our skills for our schools. I’m happy you got to see our video, and given what was said about the other schools, “Meh, Not too bad, I suppose” is a compliment!

But about the “staged fans” – when you’re working with students from these schools, you’re dealing with real (not staged) fans – fans who are taking time out of their busy schedules to cheer for their schools, and not just at a football game, but for a video showcasing how amazing their school is. At Pitt, we actually filmed at Heinz Field on game day. The fans you saw in our video were there for the football team, but given that Pitt is a nationally televised team, in an NFL stadium, legal contracts prohibited us from filming during the game (televised on RootSports that night (vs. Old Dominion)), and Heinz Field would only let us shoot from certain angles. We shot before the game, in almost freezing rain, with a group of fans willing to break from those huddling inside and film with us as long as it took.

As a film crew, you have to do the best within the constraints you’re given, and I think everyone did well with what they had.

• Brett Hein

December 9, 2013 at 1:20 pm

Ah, anytime the NFL is involved, count on a lot of restrictions and red tape. That’s a bummer. That certainly makes sense for Pitt’s case.

In reality, all the videos were fine. I thought the idea of smack talk over videos was humorous — I certainly don’t take them that seriously. I thought my chosen smack was so mild and innocuous that people might join in and have some fun. Love you all, Oregon, BC, GIT and Pitt. Still not Bama, tho 🙂